Powers Farley provides personal, responsive, and high-quality legal services to clients in Idaho and the Pacific Northwest.
Raymond D. Powers has practiced law for 40 years and has tried over 60 cases to jury verdict in every part of the state. Ray understands the art of persuasion having prevailed in the great majority of those jury trials. Many of those verdicts involved complex medical issues and significant injuries to the plaintiff. He possesses knowledge of the Idaho medical community that allows him to manage the medical issues arising in any civil tort complaint. Ray assists a host of savvy purchasers of legal services including insurers and hospitals. Ray also represents individuals who have sustained traumatic brain and spine injuries drawing upon his understanding of the medicine involved in those injuries.
Ray’s trial skills are well known throughout the community and he is sought out by doctors, attorneys, and other professionals when they face challenges to their professional judgment.
Ray has practiced in Boise, Idaho, since 1981. His practice focuses on civil litigation, including complex litigation, insurance bad faith, medical malpractice, professional licensing and privileging matters, personal injury, and products liability. Ray is a trial lawyer with a successful record of trying and winning a broad spectrum of cases, including class actions against medical devices. His jury trial experience is extensive and encompasses a wide range of matters, from defending insureds in auto accident cases, corporate retailers in premises liability suits, product manufacturers in personal injury claims, architects in malpractice suits and breach of contract claims, to representing physicians in multi-million-dollar brain damaged baby cases.
In 2019, Ray was recently recognized by Best Lawyers as the Lawyer of the Year in Boise in Product Liability Litigation-Defendants. He has defended pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers throughout his career in multistate litigation and class actions. His litigation experience ranges from contraceptive devices to pharmaceuticals to orthopedic implants.
Mr. Powers holds an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell. He is a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL). He is annually recognized as a Mountain States Super Lawyer since 2010. He was named The Best Lawyers’ Boise Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year in 2011. He is annually selected as one of The Best Lawyers in America for his litigation skills and experience, particularly his work in the fields of defending medical malpractice, personal injury, and products liability actions throughout the state of Idaho, and has been included in the 2013 Best Lawyers in America, 19th Edition, in these practice areas. He appears as an invited guest speaker on medical malpractice issues for Medical Insurance Exchange of California and for The Doctors Company.
- Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, Ada, Ohio
- J.D. - 1981
- Alfred University
- B.A. - 1978
Classes & Seminars
- Guest Speaker, Medical Malpractice Issues, Medical Insurance Exchange of California
- Guest Speaker, Medical Malpractice Issues, The Doctors Company
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Idaho Brain Injury Association, Former Member
- Board of Directors of the University of Washington Family Practice Residency Program, Former Member
- Civil Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Medical Malpractice
- Professional Licensing and Privileging Matters
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- U.S. District Court District of Idaho
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Lawyer of the Year in Boise in Product Liability Litigation-Defendants, Best Lawyer
- AV Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- Mountain States Super Lawyer
- The Best Lawyers' Boise Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year, 2011