Powers Farley provides personal, responsive, and high-quality legal services to clients in Idaho and the Pacific Northwest.
Donald J. Farley has been in private practice for 45 years and has tried over 100 cases to a jury verdict for both plaintiffs and defendants with great success. Don understands the trucking industry, motor carrier and driver practices, and safety standards. Don has been a leader in defending product liability lawsuits during his career. Insurers seek his advice in suits throughout the State relating to fire cause and origin analysis.
Don has also developed the firm's business law practice. He assists clients in the sale and acquisition of businesses and business assets. He works closely with the auto dealer and manufacturer industry. He appreciates the legal entities for business and professional practices which may be best suited to a client's needs, and how to prepare the best governing documents for them. He understands how to handle business disputes to achieve a successful or negotiated resolution. He is also well versed in the obligations ERISA laws and regulations impose on business owners and fiduciaries. He knows how to reasonably protect a business and business owners' interests against the loss of intellectual property, trade secrets or customers, as well as employer and employee rights in the event of termination or departure.
Don has practiced in Boise, Idaho, since 1975. He successfully brought to trial numerous cases in aviation, premises liability, truck and auto collisions, machine and equipment failure, pneumatic nailer cases, fire and property damage cases, intellectual property disputes, employment cases, commercial and business disputes and contract claims, and insurance coverage cases.
In the fall of 2003, Mr. Farley was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Mr. Farley is a member of the American Bar Association, its Tort and Insurance Practice and Litigation Sections, and the ABA's Committee on Product Liability Litigation. He was named lawyer of the year in Product Liability Litigation in 2011 by Best Lawyers. He is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel, and serves on its Casualty Insurance, Product Liability and Business Litigation Committees. He served on the committee that drafted the Idaho Rules of Evidence and is a former law clerk to the Honorable J. Blaine Anderson, District Judge, United States District Court for the District of Idaho. Mr. Farley also has been a lecturer and a contributing author to various programs sponsored by the Idaho Law Foundation and the National Business Institute.
- University of Idaho College of Law, Moscow, Idaho
- J.D. - 1973
- University of Idaho
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1970
- Major: Economics
- Honorable J. Blaine Anderson, District Judge, United States District Court, District of Idaho, Law Clerk
- American Bar Association, Member
- Idaho State Bar Association, Member
- Idaho Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Premises Liability
- Truck and Auto Collisions
- Machine and Equipment Failure
- Pneumatic Nailer Cases
- Fire and Property Damage Cases
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Employment Cases
- Commercial and Business Disputes and Contract Claims
- Insurance Coverage
- Idaho, 1973
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Lawyer of the Year in Product Liability Litigation, Best Lawyer