Powers Farley provides personal, responsive, and high-quality legal services to clients in Idaho and the Pacific Northwest.
John M. Howell is a graduate of Saint John's University in Minnesota. He continued his education at the University of Idaho College of Law, graduating in 2000. While in law school, John worked on Governor Phil Batt's staff, the Federal Defenders of Eastern Washing and Idaho, externed for the Honorable Edward J. Lodge of the Federal District of Idaho, and also represented clients before the United States Tax Court. Following law school, John served as a law clerk for the Honorable Cheri C. Copsey in the Fourth Judicial District for the State of Idaho. John entered private practice thereafter.
John has an active litigation practice and has tried more than 100 jury trials. He has appeared and argued cases throughout Idaho, Oregon, Utah, the United States District Court for the District of Idaho, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Idaho Supreme Court. He primarily assists clients in business disputes, real estate matters, contested probate cases, employment issues, and all aspects of general commercial litigation. John further represents trusts and trustees in contested restate issues and handles collection actions for various creditors throughout Idaho. He serves on the Criminal Justice Act Panel in Federal Court. He is a frequent presenter to other lawyers for continuing legal education.
Outside of the office, John enjoys family time with his wife and four children. He is active in the Idaho hockey community and coaches teams that travel throughout the United States and Western Canada. John also serves as the volunteer Hockey Director and board member for the Idaho Jr. Steelheads hockey program.
- University of Idaho College of Law, Moscow, Idaho
- J.D. - 2000
- St. John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1996
- Major: Political Science
- Hockey Director and board member for the Idaho Jr. Steelheads
- Governor Phil Batt’s staff
- Federal Defenders of Eastern Washington and Idaho
- Honorable Edward J. Lodge of the Federal District of Idaho, Extern
- Honorable Cheri C. Copsey in the Fourth Judicial District for the State of Idaho, Law Clerk
- Criminal Justice Act Panel in Federal Court
- Business Litigation
- Tort Defense
- Products Liability
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Commercial Business Transactions
- Trusts, Estates, and Fiduciary Litigation
- Real Estate
- Idaho, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Idaho, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit